Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Allow Me To Introduce Myself...

How To Deal

The almost incessant ramblings of a wife, mother, creative type, and teacher just trying to make it happen without getting hit over the head by an anvil like some tortured cartoon character.

I’ve not been teaching in the public school arena for very long. Before public school, I was a Writing Program Administrator at a community college, and I taught Freshman Comp at that same college.

I left for public school for a myriad of reasons. My boss was a wolf in sheep’s clothing. She was passive-aggressive and I was either going to leave, or knock her the hell out. Because I valued my teaching role and did not want to jeopardize it, I decided it would be best for me to just move on down the road. Plus I would have to wait for someone else to retire or for some sort of manna to fall from heaven and fund the hiring of more teachers. It wasn’t worth the wait. I didn’t see the opportunity for advancement, so I rolled.

Fast forward to now. I’m at an at-risk high school and the stuff I see each day is a complete mess. Hence the name of this blog. If I process my thoughts out loud, hopefully, over a period of time, I will learn how to deal. This blog won’t just be about my teaching experiences. I will include stories of marriage, parenting, creating, winning, losing, triumph…ok. That’s enough. I was starting to sound like Don Pardo [the famous announcer]. Google him.

Anyway, I’m figuring this out as I go along. Literally, figuratively, and metaphorically. I’ve been encouraged to write publicly for years because the crap that happens to me is just too good to waste. And if my experiences can be fodder for everyone else’s amusement, I may as well benefit in some way. Maybe I should change the title to “How to deal with being a masochist…” No? Ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment